Monday, February 2, 2009

The Confederate's Defeat

I cannont believe that this day has come; the day that the South surrenders to the North.  Grant and Sherman both smashed through our lines with forces that greatly outnumbered us.  General Hood is urging me to go west, to Texas maybe, in case this portion of South Carolina is overrun with Yankees.  In the words of my friend Buck, "Now we belong to negroes and Yankees! I do not believe it."  But there is no use in leaving now with all those Yankees already everywhere like the red ants they are.  It was evident throughout the war how different our views can be.  Because of their numbers they are willing to sacrifice any three for our one soldier.  But now look what has happened.  What will become of the Southern states?


1 comment:

  1. I must say, Ms. Chesnut, you were very devout in your loyalty to the Confederacy. Thankfully, the Union has finally overrun the little temper tantrum you had.

    ReplyDelete